Like the discovery of the Philippines, way back in 1521 by foreign navigators, the founding of Liloy was also accidental sometime at the end of the 19th century. The Subanos who were crowded out in the more civilized towns of the province found their way to Liloy as they wandered from place to place following the coast of the Zamboanga peninsula. These facts could be traced by some old Subanos living in the area who could point-out that their ancestors and great-great grandparents originates from the municipalities of Katipunan, Manukan and Sindangan, all of this province. These settlers must have seen “LILO” and possibly the later generation or perhaps the early Christian settlers added the “Y”, thus the name “LILOY” came into use.
1.2 Political History
The Municipality of Liloy, prior to its creation was one of the biggest barangay of the municipality of Sindangan. It acquired its juridical personality on August 22, 1951 by virtue of Executive Order No. 469 signed by the Philippine President Elpedio Quirino and was later inaugurated on December 16, of the same year.
Upon its creation, the municipality has a total land area of 44,600 hectares with twenty-five barangays. However, in 1959, a huge portion of its territorial jurisdiction had been taken away as a result of the separation and creation of the municipality of Salug, and later, the municipality of Tampilisan in 1978.
Thus, Liloy at present has only about 12,843 hectares with a total of 37 barangays within its juridical responsibility. Comprising the Twelve Coastal barangays namely: Barangay BANIGAN, BAYBAY, DE LA PAZ, KAYOK, LAMAO, PATAWAG, PUNTA, SAN MIGUEL, SANTA CRUZ, TIMAN, VILLA C. SUDIACAL AND VILLA M. TEJERO. The remaining twenty Five inland Barangays are: Barangay CABANGCALAN, CANAAN, CANDELARIA, CAUSWAGAN, COMUNAL, COMPRA, , EL PARAISO, FATIMA, GANASE, GOAW, GOIN, LA LIBERTAD, MABUHAY, MAIGANG, MALILA, MAUSWAGON, NEW BETHLEHEM, OVERVIEW, PANABANG, SAN, FRANCISCO, SAN ISIDRO, SAN ROQUE, SILUCAP, SANTO NINO, TAPICAN.